Thursday, September 16, 2010

3. Make My Own Wallpaper & 3a. Make Street Art

I'm dreaming of one day filling my entire bedroom walls full of hand drawn type and collages. I can't think of anything else I'd rather be surrounded in other than all my maps and you can't forget the spoon collection. I'm extremely fascinated and inspired by the quality and care of all hand-rendered typography. Everyone has their own unique and distinct way of defining themselves or their message when they hand write.

I don't think I'll want to start this little (or-not-so-little) project for awhile, because being a renter doesn't put me in the best situation. I'll want to be in a bit more permanent space to be able to enjoy it and keep working over the years. A year or so in a house isn't enough time I believe. I love the idea of having every person that ever walks into your home or room sign one of the walls, or write a little snippet. Perhaps I'd come up with a certain theme or question and ask for their response. It would then be permanent and among all the other visitor's responses. It's like a community journal. A large and visible community journal on my walls.

And the colors? I could dream forever about the color palettes and the medium used. Would it be paint? Pens? Markers? Chalk on chalkboard paint? Oh the possibilities just keep growing.

Here's an image to get you excited about the future walls of my future home.
+ seen here


















Oh and graffiti also gets me excited. And not the first image of graffiti that pops into your head.  I'm talking about the simple and complex messages and images people display. The creativity and thought that goes into these things are so great.

If I could just add a 3a I would add this: 3a. Make Street Art. 

Here are few examples I've found while I'm at it.

seen at RISD
banksy: seen here

4 comments:

  1. Oooh - I've always wanted to do sidewalk art like the 3-D kind that makes it look like there's a stairway when there's not... There are some great pics here:

    http://www.impactlab.net/2006/03/09/amazing-3d-sidewalk-art-photos/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more I think that having something unique and totally different such as street art on my walls would be far better than having a mona lisa in which I paid way to much for something so perfect and without voice. Last year at Sundance film festival I was able to go see the Banksy movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop" it was truly amazing. I highly recommend it last I herd it was at the Broadway theatre but it probably is gone. Banksy's art shows are legenary as well as his forged paintings he hung throughout the Louvre. Check out the Trailer Here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0b90YppquE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of having a wall that people could write and interact with. I love seeing what people can do with blank spaces and fill it up, other than painting it and adding a picture because that doesn't mean anything.
    A solution to your renters problem would be to hang fabric on your wall? and then tack stuff on to it, have people write on it and such and then when you move to somewhere permanent, you can take it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only way to do street art is to walk around at 3am.

    ReplyDelete