Thursday, October 28, 2010

8. Join the Peace Corps

My brother planted the idea of joining the Peace Corps in my head a few years ago when he was considering it himself. I love the idea of helping and volunteering for an entire community somewhere. Volunteers commit 27 months of their life to volunteer in one of seventy-seven countries offered in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Central and South America, and the Middle East. While you're there you provide help and assistance in six program areas. They are education, youth and community development, health, business and information and communications technology, agriculture, and environment.


On their website, you can read volunteers' journals and what they have to say about the organization. I've really enjoyed reading these perspectives. 


This is a major time commitment, but I feel like it's a life changing commitment. It's something I'm seriously considering for after I graduate or a few years after I graduate. 


More Photos Here



1 comment:

  1. If you have the opportunity, I say go for it. My cousin joined the peace corps and ended up on the island of Vanuatu (not sure on the spelling) and had the time of his life. He loved teaching and helping the people, especially the kids. It was crazy- we didn't know anything about the island until the show "Survivor" was there :) Very cool idea, I hope you get to do it! That would definitely be the experience of a life time

    ReplyDelete