Saturday, November 20, 2010

10. Get Lost in a Big City Without a Map

This is something that naturally does happen to me when I travel because I'm so awful at directions, but the point isn't to consult a map or stranger like I normally would do. The point is to enjoy what's around me at the time and not worry about the details--where I am or how I'll get back. Little things fascinate me, and I'm pretty sure I could spend an afternoon in almost anywhere and find something to keep my interest. Whether that be an old bookstore, a street that's calling me to take photos of it, or an interesting group of locals to people watch. Sometimes I let time and commitments take over my life. I'd like to live in the moment more often and do things for myself. I feel like being lost in a big city would give me endless opportunities for this. The best days for me are the ones where I have no set plans. I love letting days unfold naturally and having a surprise visit or phone call or even being the surprise visitor or caller. Of course, when it came time to finally head home I would ask the nearest stranger for directions back, but not until I was content with the day.

Now the question is, which city shall I get lost in?

+link

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Getting lost in a new city is just a way to slow down an appreciate the view. I've only done it once before, but it was such a wonderful feeling. Being on my own and not having any time constraints, it was very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this! I got totally turned around in Germany (on my own - and I don't speak the language) - it was accidental, but I was so glad! And the people made me glad that I got lost in their country. I'd recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete