Thursday, October 21, 2010

7. Gather and Create my Own Found Typeface

I have many collections. That's no secret. Well, here I am trying to start another one. The goal is find or create 26 letters (A-Z) at flea markets, garage sales, other stores, etc. and then compile them all into one found typeface. The idea started when creating the "e" (seen below) for my typography class. I cut out an "e" from an entire 1500 hardcover book. Talk about tedious. I went through 5 exacto knife blades. I think this will be an interesting project that will develop over time and travels. So far I have collected the Y, O, D, E, T, F, & R. I found the T & F at a flea market in Seattle, the Y & O in an antique shop in Seattle, the R & D at Urban Outfitters and created the E myself.

Being drawn to antiques and anything old I think most of my letters will be thrifted. A 12 year old once told me, "Marisa, you like really ancient things." I had a good laugh and told her I think she meant to use the word antique. I'm not quite sure I have anything that would qualify as ancient. Not yet at least. :)

Here are a sample of a few of the found letters:

No comments:

Post a Comment